It’s not always easy to eat healthy when not at home but here are a few tips:
1. Plan in advance. If it’s possible choosing the right restaurant is key! If given the choice between say a fried chicken and ribs place or a steak house the steak house will generally offer a menu that might have a better selection for health – like offering salads, shrimp cocktails, lean cuts of meat, and steamed veggies.
2. Pre-order. If you do know the restaurant in advance try to find out if their menu is available on line. Often, we make wrong decision when on the fly and hungry so by looking at the menu, considering your options and making your choice before you leave the house can help you tremendously. Don’t even open the menu when you get there so you don’t change your mind!
3. On the side. Remember to ask for sauces and dressings on the side and the measure out a reasonable amount. Ask if whatever you are getting prepared can be prepared with as little oil / fats as possible and remember that steaming, broiling and boiling is better than saute, fried and coated.
4. Hold the bread. If possible, ask them to skip putting the bread basket on your table. These calories really add up! If you want a piece of bread, take a piece and then have the basket removed to avoid the temptation of over-doing it.
5. Is it special? Not every meal out needs to be a party. Ask yourself if this is a special occasion or just a Tuesday night you didn’t feel like cooking. If it’s the latter then skip the appetizers and desserts and skip those extra calories!
What are some ways you keep on track when eating out?